3/24/12

What to do when your friend gets dumped

You know those awkward social situations where you just really have no idea what to do? I run into these all the time. But, I figured I'd share the knowledge I've acquired about what to do when things like this happen.

The first instance is when a really good friend of yours gets dumped. Now, for guys, I don't really know what to tell you. Basically, I've heard that you listen to them, try to comfort them and then take them out for drinks. You can probably give them things too. I'd say a bottle of whisky or a 6 pack of beer. This is more of a solution for when a good girl friend gets dumped. Or I mean, if she does the dumping and is really sad, that would be an occasion to try and help too.
  1. Be careful not to give too much advice or to be too judgmental. Let's say they get back together and you spent hours bashing the guy or girl. That'd be awkward right? Just listen and then be positive in a general sort of way.
  2. Try to go and do things that will take their mind off of it. That could mean going to a bar, a movie, the mall or just to lunch. It doesn't have to be fancy or anything.
  3. I recently had a friend that this happened to and she doesn't live anywhere near me so I sent her a little "feel better" package. This included cookies, some tinted chap stick, nail polish, a nail file, foot soak and a little note. Simple, and it totally made her day even though I am no where near her.
  4. Come to think of it, even if you are in the same vicinity, making a little care package is a nice little idea. It shows that you are thinking of them and that you care. It'll make them still feel cared about and taken care of.
I really hope this helps, because I know situations like this can be really awkward to try and handle. You want to be there for your friend but you don't know what to do exactly. Well, maybe now you know a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What're you thinking?