1/23/12

Southwest Black Bean Casserole

Did I mention that this is what I made for dinner last night?... on Twitpic

I made this recipe last week and honestly this is one of my favorites, so far. A Pinch of Yum had this great recipe. I actually combined it with another recipe so mine was a little different. Like I left out the jalapeno peppers, bacon and chicken broth. I also used a jar of black bean and corn salsa in it as opposed to the tomatoes and such. I still used a can of black beans though, they're delish and good for you. And I used the cheddar cheese as opposed to Monterrey cheese. Instead of serving it with chips or tortillas I ripped up flour ones and mixed them around in the mixture before I baked everything.

I made the casserole and then I cooked some brown rice and put it with Goya's sofrito tomato base. You just spoon some of it, let's say three or four tablespoons of it, into the rice mixture and mix it around. My friend Joe likes to use the cilantro base, which is also very good if you're a fan of cilantro.

Southwest Black Bean Casserole
Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb. ground extra lean turkey
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, diced
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1-2 chopped seeded tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
  • 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425F.
  2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and a handful of the onions to the pan, sauteing until meat is browned. Remove turkey and set aside.
  3. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, pepper, and jalapeno, sauteing for 4 minutes and stirring occasionally. Add salt, cumin, red pepper, and garlic. Saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly (I added a tablespoon or two of water to keep things from sticking in the pan.)
  4. Stir in broth and black beans. Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Mash beans to desired consistency.
  5. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with turkey, bacon, tomato, and cheese. Bake at 425F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Top with green onions and let cool for at least 10 minutes (otherwise it will be too runny).
  6. Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips, on tacos, on a salad, or just eat it plain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What're you thinking?