1/23/12

Garlic, spinach and egg whites frittata

    Late lunch, I created my first frittata. on Twitpic

    I made this to bring for lunch this week. It was delish. I added feta on top and it looks really fancy but in reality it was one of the easiest things I've ever made. It's kind of like a quiche without the crust. Which is the best part of quiche but also probably the most fattening part.

I'm only talking about fattening because technically I'm doing Weight Watchers right now. I'm not doing a very good job though because, not joking, I've gained 4 pounds in the 2 weeks since I started. Now, tell me how that makes sense? At least you can't tell, and to be honest, I don't need to do Weight Watchers I just wanted to learn to eat more healthy.Which...I guess I'm not learning. Maybe by the end it'll be better.

Back to the frittata. Here's how you make it.

    Garlic, spinach and egg whites frittata

    Ingredients:
    2 cups Baby Spinach, fresh,
    1 medium Onion chopped
    1 to 2 tsp Olive Oil
    Garlic, 2 to 3 cloves peeled & finely chopped (use less if you are not a garlic fan)
    1 cup of egg whites (about 6 large eggs worth)
    splash of Milk (I guesstimate 2 tablespoons)
    12 - 15 grape Tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise
    1/4 - 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
    2 oz Pancetta (2 slices Boars head pancetta) torn into small pieces
    1 tbs *Balsamic Vinegar

Directions

In non stick pan, warm the olive oil. Add the Garlic and sautee for about a minute. Add the onions and continue. Once the onions are translucent (but before they are golden) add the pancetta. Cook all until onions are deep golden. Add balsamic vinegar. Cook another minute then stir in Spinach and cook until it is wilted. Remove from heat.

Meanwhile in bowl mix egg whites & milk. Add salt and pepper to taste (I also add some freeze dried basil)

Assemble

Place spinach onion mixture in bottom of 9 inch glass pie plate that is coated with non stick spray. Top with the egg/milk/seasoning mixture. Drop in the grape tomato halves, distributing them evenly. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan.

I just mixed Parmesan from a bag in, but then again, I'm lazy.

bake at 375 for 15 to 20 mins, or longer if you like it more golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What're you thinking?