11/12/11

The Love Cynic

I've mentioned before that I can be a little bit of a cynic when it comes to happily ever after or true love. It isn't that I don't believe it exists. I do believe it exists, I've just seen a lot of examples where it doesn't work out. When I say I've seen a lot, I mean a lot.

I'm in a relationship right now and my boyfriend is actually in the Navy so it has been a few months since we've seen each other. The distance has been difficult but since he got out of basic and we can text and talk on the phone again things have been looking up. Despite our struggles, and we have had many, I believe we are finally at a good place in our lives together. I think we've reached this happy place finally from growing up. It's difficult to know what you want when you are confined by high school, college or are stuck in a holding pattern after graduation. What I'm saying is, I'm very happy right now.

I wrote this post, not to spew about my happiness, because honestly no one wants to read about that, but because every time I hear a song on the radio, yes we're talking about country again, that tells a love story I always kind of laugh about it. I used to snap every time I heard the ones that tell an adorable story about how two people met. They're like love at first sight kinds of tales where things just somehow fell into place for these people. I don't think this really ever happens to people so it used to make me mad, and almost jealous.

I've started to get over this. Some people are lucky enough to actually have good stories about how they met. Others just met on blind dates, online or through friends. Those aren't interesting stories though. But why was I so upset by hearing these stories? Because I think everyone should be happy like the people in the songs. I want lyrics to come true for every one and I know this is never going to be the case. You might be like me, absolutely hating the cutesy love stories because of jealousy or just because you are too much of a realist. In that case, I feel you. It's OK to be that person. But at the same time, take in the story and learn to see it as you would a Disney fairy tale. Unattainable, totally unrealistic, but nonetheless sweet and inspiring.

If you only listen to one, listen to Austin. It's sad at first, but always gives me chills because of how devoted the man is. And if you watch the video, forgive Blake's hair, he looks ridiculous. Don't let that distract you from the beauty of the story.

Three of the best love story songs

Austin - Blake Shelton
Good Directions - Billy Currington
She Said Yes - Brad Paisley

PS. Sorry I didn't include the appropriately named song Love Story by T Swift. It's Romeo and Juliet without the dying. I don't find this to be inspirational in any way. Not that you need to die for that story to mean something but, you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What're you thinking?