11/2/11

No one should marry for love

I thoroughly disagree with this statement, but if you think about the facts, it makes a sad kind of sense. According to a Huffington Post article, no one should actually marry purely for love. They even advice you to ask your fiance why they want to marry you. If the answer is "Because I love you" you should tell them that isn't good enough.

Personally, I find that to be the exact answer people want to hear, along with "Because you're beautiful, funny, talented, interesting and kind," but I guess I'm just easy-going. The new statistics actually show people are getting divorced because they fell out of love with each other as opposed to something like infidelity or abuse. So, maybe they are on to something. And who knows when you might fall out of love and want to end your marriage/relationship. I mean, look at Kim Kardashian's 72-day marriage. It's embarrassing, but not uncommon.

What I mean is, people get divorced for "irreconcilable differences" all the time. Kardashian is a bad example since her wedding itself could have pulled a third-world country from the depths of poverty, but that's a different story.

I believe in love. It's hard, and it hurts and sometimes you wish there was no such thing, but overall history wouldn't be the same, and our lives wouldn't be nearly as interesting. Maybe we can envy those that don't feel anything, and at some point we all want a procedure that can just erase all memory of a former love a la Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. But can anyone really say that love is dead and gone? Or that we should only marry for money, stability, or children? I may be cynical at times, but when love is good, there's absolutely nothing comparable.

A Love Song For Every Phase of Love
(Just listen to the lyrics or look them up if it's a genre you hate, I promise you'll agree)

The unrequited love - Sparks Fly - Taylor Swift
The one you love from a distance - As She's Walking Away - Zac Brown Band
The one you can't get over - I Still Ain't Over You - Augustana
The match made in heaven - The Way I Am - Ingrid Miachelson
The first dance as a married couple - God Bless the Broken Road - Rascal Flatts
The one you'd lay down your life for - I'll Follow You Into the Dark - Death Cab for Cutie
The one you screwed up - Little Lion Man - Mumford and Sons
The one who just can't grasp love - I and Love and You - The Avett Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment

What're you thinking?