2/2/12

Pre-Valentine's Day dangers

I bought a little box of chocolates for my parents at Walmart. It was so cute. It had a little panda on it with a karate outfit and it said "I get a kick out of you." How cute is that? Especially since my dad and I have this weird thing for King Fu Panda. I don't know why exactly, but we both think it's the funniest thing. He tells me to "Have a dumpling" sometimes, it's a line that the little sensei with the huge ears said. I figured you wouldn't know that if I didn't tell you.

So I was going to send this tiny box of candy to my parents, the thing cost a dollar, and then I realized it would cost me, at least $5 to get it there. Now, I'm not usually cheap, but I made them a CD instead with old love songs from the 60 and slipped it into their card. Don't judge be for this, but I kept the box of chocolate myself.

Needless to say, I've been eating on it. Eating on chocolate originally intended for my parents. Lord. That has to be a new low.

There are so many things to watch out for, the candy being one, before Valentine's Day. The chocolate and heart-shaped treats are so hard to avoid. They're staring at you from every aisle at Walmart. Confetti cake with pink and red sprinkles, cupcakes decorated with little plastic ring hearts and those Pillsbury cookies that have the little pictures on them. Commercials on TV have red and pink Hershey's kisses that are dancing with each. How adrobs and fattening all at the same time. Seriously, I can feel my thighs widening from the entire box of chocolates I ate. And I still want more, maybe I'll make hot chocolate...

Then there's the previews on TV for The Vow - the newest Nicholas Sparks film that makes everyone want to just explode from the overload of lovey dovey sweetness. Explode in a bad way, not a good one. It's enough to make the happiest couples doubt their relationship. How can a real life couple ever really compete with a dude trying to get his wife to fall in love with him AGAIN. Its hard enough the first time. And for everyone else that gets bitter around V-Day, that whole mushy story is just one big slap in the face. It's saying "Don't you wish you could find this? I know you're jealous, but how sweet!" I hate that.

You spend a lot of money you still have quite earned back from the holidays on gifts for your significant other, Valentine's Day cards and treats for the office. I definitely bought some old school, elementary style Valentine's Day cards for the office. They come complete with a little eraser. I'm not going to lie, I think they're going to love them...or think I'm crazy but I'm not going to trip on it.

I don't think Valentine's Day has to be this fluffy, cotton-candy-esque holiday. I think it can be sweet and sensual without overloading the senses and causing sugar decay and a need to buy a gym membership. Let's just focus on the love and friendship aspect shall we? Be nice to one another and all that. Show them you care about your friendships and loved ones if you neglect to do that on a regular basis.

Let's be real though, those heart-shaped Dove chocolates taste the best don't they? I'm totally making hot chocolate for myself this second as it's the only thing in my apartment right now that's chocolate flavored. Curse you Cupid, I know it's all you doing this and I have no will power of tasty delicious things.

UPDATE: I have no milk to make hot chocolate. I had to settle for wheat bread with apple butter and honey. So disappointed right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What're you thinking?